Tuesday 7 May 2013

Lola's Big Haircut

A few weeks ago I made a short film about my daughter. Not a huge surprise, as I am massively proud of her and I am a film-maker.  But this was different to the usual family stuff I make.

She created a quiet storm of events which ended in the her making another (unknown) little girl’s life a bit more bearable in the face of incredible adversity.

Chemotherapy is intolerable in the strongest of us, I am told. Apart from the physical sickness and side effects it creates, there’s the humiliating loss of hair. Like the therapy needs to make sure you are “flagged up” in some visible way. Insult to injury indeed.  This is tough to wear even for a self-aware, rationalising grown up.

But what if you’re a 10 year old girl?



Your hair is such a huge part of your identity the psychological effects must be crushingly sad.  The “Little Princess Trust” funds professionally made real-hair wigs for young patients undergoing chemotherapy. So they need (young) hair and money (each wig is around £400.00).

This is why my daughter wanted to help.  I have never been so proud of her.  I will not be so cynical as to make some kind of business connection here, so apologies to those of you who miss my communications insights this time. Normal service will be resumed next week.  I will say that if anything you ever created for your business contained just a fraction of the intimacy Lola’s story engenders, you’d have a very powerful story on your hands. Enjoy the film.

If you’d like to help us raise even more money for this cause, click here. Lola’s efforts made sure she could finance a professional wig maker for one wig, but there’s always more to do of course.

Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment